New Toolbar: Stop instead of pause for streams

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Wed Feb 10 13:52:02 CET 2010

Am Wednesday 10 February 2010 schrieb Sven Krohlas:
> Pause doesn't make sense for streams, there only a stop
> action exists. So my suggestions: replace the pause- with
> a stop-button for streams in the new toolbar.

I agree, the button should not lie and hint that playing cannot be resumed
(i.e. display a stop button in case)

So, is there a way to detect the "pausable" feature or would
Phonon::MediaObject::pause() automagically lead to a Phonon::StoppedState in
case?

On the long run:
-----
would it be in scope to provide client side "Time-Shifting" instead?

I.e., redirect the stream into a local cache when pressing the pause button
and resume from there when you  continue playing?
(this implies that we must either be able to allocate file memory and delete
it from the front or have a static sized streamcache, overflow it to the
beginning and keep a pointer to the "oldest" position - in a _reliable_ and
portable way)

Cheers
Thomas