[Amarok] rtl awareness, bg gradient, prev/next watermarks +

Thomas Lübking thomas.luebking at web.de
Tue Feb 9 16:23:13 CET 2010

Am Tuesday 09 February 2010 schrieb Enrico Ros:
> Actually they're not mine, but Thomas's. I took them from:
>   http://gitorious.org/qt4-gadgets/coolbar/trees/master/Themes/4d
> and inverted colors in gimp.
Hehe... thanks Enrico, i was just looking for the mail that called them
"Klingon" ...

They're btw. part of my private non-glossy svg theme, so i've no real
objection on them =)

I removed the agressive look by
- capping the edges and
- add the skip typical >|
but i'm not sure whether this is an improvement :-\

------ REALLY! IMPORTANT PART ----------------------

However, I don't know whether this became clear, but:
Putting a "solid" icon between the tracks (forcefully) implies to
 - deactivate transitioning animations
 - deactivate the sliding
 - make usage harder (see below)

I mean that serious.
You cannot sell a sliding of the icons (_esp._ not as at this size they stop
looking outlined and start looking sunken/embedded) neither a movement of the
labels across them.

Aside this: icons are eye catchers.
They'll attract the users focus and you can hardly prevent yourself from
trying to click them (though unnecessary as the entire label area is
clickable) what will make a bad usage exp. (as you "need" to point the tiny
icon area)

So: whatever the final iconshape maybe,
If it's not a WATERMARK, we can make the prev/next labels _really_ look like
shaped BUTTONS anyway (on above mentioned costs)

In case of interest, Explanation for the current shape:
----------------
- Putting filigrane shapes under text will make the text hard to read and the
icon nearly invisible, therefore they're as big as the entire toolbar.

- The hook shape allows them to stay close to the label (even if short) w/o
interfering with the slider or timelabels.

- The weight should remain on the label, therefore the upper wing is thicker
and the lower one is capped.

- A bonus was that the capping centers them somewhat on the slider.

Cheers,
Thomas

@Markey:
I saw StarTrek. Every Episode. There're no such arrows :-P