Feature Creep (in a nutshell)

Milot Shala milot.shala at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 14:26:04 CET 2010

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Seb Ruiz <ruiz at kde.org> wrote:

> On 9 February 2010 23:16, Milot Shala <milot.shala at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there,
> > I would like to add something to this topic.
> > Amarok has great features inside I don't think that they should be
> removed,
> > but I suggest that the developers should be more concentrated on
> stabilizing
> > the code, fixing bugs and/or refactoring the code rather than adding new
> > features to it.
> > I am new to the community but long time Amarok user, from my software
> > engineering expertise for several years Amarok can be a feature-bloated
> > software that users will not know what's inside anymore and several of
> them
> > will even not bother using it anymore because with more features users
> will
> > pay the cost during the usage of Amarok.
> > Before adding a feature I think it is a good idea to think hard about a
> > specific feature and making some surveys.
> > Again, I am new to the community and I don't know how you guys handled
> this
> > part until now, but this is my opinion, if I am wrong feel free to
> correct
> > me.
> > Sincerely,
> > Milot
>

> Hi Milot,
> In these situations it is not always a case of who is right and who is
> wrong :) Each development team assesses possible features differently
> to the next (some more than others of course). In Amarok, core
> developers are usually left to their discretion when implementing
> features, but will often be subject to discussions or criticism if
> there are thoughts of inappropriate features or potentially better
> implementation methods (as you might have seen around here). Of course
> stablising the code base is an important and noble goal for any
> software project, but it is also worth noting that as a volunteer
> project, it is hard to force someone to do the dirty ugly work.
>
> The only thing we know for certain is that top quoting emails is poor form
> :)
>
> Seb

Dear Seb,

Yes you are right, but I wasn't telling anyone that is right or wrong, just
gave my opinion regarding the nice article that Mark pointed here and what I
feel that we should be aware of what was written there, but not removing any
of the features because as we all know, Amarok is a great music player and I
am happy for using for so many years and joined here to help developing it
more :D

Sorry for top quoting my email, gmail automatically does that :)

www.spartansoft.org | m.shala at spartansoft.org