playlist tooltips

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 08:17:43 CET 2010

Ok, so the opposition to the feature as it currently stands is duly noted.

Here is my suggestion for moving forwards in a way that avoids a messy
revert of a merge (I was not aware that this was such a hassle) and
does not discard the work the that students has already put into this.
In the branch the following could then be tried to make the feature
more useful.

1. Disable the feature completely for 2.3 while keeping the code
around (it is mostly external code so it is unlikely to cause bugs)
and remove the option from the config page.
2. Make the config for showing a tooltip part of the playlist layout.
3. Make the tootip only show information that is complementary to the
current playlist layout (meaning that if track title, album and artist
is already shown, don't show this in the tooltip, show genre, year,
score and comment instead, for instance)
4. Make the look more similar to the mockup
http://imagebin.ca/view/r1yijxhn.html using icons instead of text for
category descriptions.

Alternatively, if anyone knows how to revert the merge in a safe way,
it can just be reverted completely and the students can try out the
above steps in their branch before submitting the feature for a second
go.

- Nikolaj