New toolbar navigation

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Mon Feb 8 00:02:58 CET 2010

Hey team,
I'm writing this as a fresh user of the new toolbar - i haven't
participated in any of the discussions or seen any mock ups prior to
compiling and using the new toolbar this morning, and I wanted to
provide some feedback:

1. How do I navigate to the next and prev track? This was totally
unobvious, and I only discovered how after using the global shortcuts
and seeing the UI move. Clearly I have to click on the name of the
song on the right hand side of the toolbar. Yet this can be really
confusing; since the text cycles between the various metadata that is
available. Clicking on a piece of text that says "2006" is mind
boggling. What would convince a user to click on that; the text looks
nothing more than informational. This leads me to my second point:

2. Clicking on the metadata has various inconsistencies. IMO, a
general rule to follow when designing a gui is that of "the principle
of least surprise". Clicking on the prev/next text labels navigate
prev/next through the playlist. Clicking on the current track labels
filters the collection browser by the current text that you've
clicked. If I click on the text "12" (in this case, happens to be the
track number) this causes the collection browser to show me all items
which have the text "12" within them. This seems to make no sense and
add little to no value to the product. What is the rationale behind
this functionality?

3. The text cycles very slowly when the mouse is not hovering, but
very quickly when the mouse moves over the labels. This means that
clicking on these labels is a bit useless, since they change so
quickly when I see something I want to click.

4. The text labels have useless information: why show the year and track number?

5. Changing the volume precisely with a mouse press is very difficult.
It seems to jump everywhere even with a few pixels of movement.

Cheers

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/