Version Number of Upcoming Release

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu Feb 4 23:10:59 CET 2010

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 1:59 PM, Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 19:05, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hey all,
>>
>> I was wondering what version number we should use for the upcoming
>> Amarok release. Originally, the plan was to call it "2.2.3". I still
>> think that's completely fine from a developer's perspective (because
>> with Git, any release really just becomes a snapshot, more or less).
>> But maybe this would be a good chance to gather some extra PR, for
>> free.
>>
>> We could simply call it "2.3", as this release sports a number of
>> important changes. Most visibly that would be the toolbar, which looks
>> very different from older versions. So I think we could justify the
>> version jump, especially because it really is "just a name":
>>
>> Whatever we change this version string to, be it "2.2.3", "2.3",
>> "WISTA Ultimate Edition", etc, it's basically just a name anyway. We
>> could simply go to "2.3", without causing a huge work overhead.
>> Everything else would stay as it is now (same splash screen, same
>> everything). So, if this can get us some extra PR, methinks, we might
>> as well use this chance :)
>>

>> What do you think?
>>

> I would prefer to add some more features. Perhaps if we made the cycle
> twice as long before releasing a "feature" (dot) release some of us
> would actually have a chance to add new things. I'm also considering
> pulling some features I added in this cycle because they are just not
> done yet.

Thats the idea behind the rapid releases.  You develop a feature in a
branch, and push it to mainline when it is ready for polish.  If a
features not ready for a release and was merged, you back it out and
then re add it once the release is tagged.  We could have a schedule
twice as long, and you could still run into the issue you are talking
about.