Version Number of Upcoming Release

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Thu Feb 4 19:05:28 CET 2010

Hey all,

I was wondering what version number we should use for the upcoming
Amarok release. Originally, the plan was to call it "2.2.3". I still
think that's completely fine from a developer's perspective (because
with Git, any release really just becomes a snapshot, more or less).
But maybe this would be a good chance to gather some extra PR, for
free.

We could simply call it "2.3", as this release sports a number of
important changes. Most visibly that would be the toolbar, which looks
very different from older versions. So I think we could justify the
version jump, especially because it really is "just a name":

Whatever we change this version string to, be it "2.2.3", "2.3",
"WISTA Ultimate Edition", etc, it's basically just a name anyway. We
could simply go to "2.3", without causing a huge work overhead.
Everything else would stay as it is now (same splash screen, same
everything). So, if this can get us some extra PR, methinks, we might
as well use this chance :)

What do you think?

--
Mark Kretschmann