Looking for a project to get involved to

Stefan Derkits stefan at derkits.at
Sat Dec 18 16:05:34 CET 2010

Hello Mathieu,

On 18/12/10 14:26, mathieu lornac wrote:
> We are a group of 6 students looking for a project to get involved to.
> We would like to contribute to an existing application such as Amarok
>
> We will work at least 2 days a week for a year, so the project has to be
> quite important
> I'm looking for some ideas or suggestions that some of you might have.

always great for Students to get involved into OpenSource.
Would it be possible for your Project to implement multiple Features? Or
does it have to be "one big Feature" for this Project.

I am also a Student and currently working with 2 Colleagues on a Feature
for Amarok and have some Proposals for Projects (which are left over
from the Proposals we got) that could be implemented. Here is the List:

* Remote playlists support
Amarok has a powerful playlist framework that is currently
underutilized. It allows for pluggable Playlist Providers that can be
used to expose playlists from web services to the local user.
Supporting Last.fm and/or Ampache playlists natively would be a great
way to add a very useful feature to Amarok. The Last.fm/Ampache
playlists would show up in the Playlist Browser and the user would be
able to create/delete/modify the playlists as if they were normal
local playlists (while they are in reality stored on Last.fm, or
Ampache, etc).

* Extending the Automated Playlist Generator with support for
Last.fm/The Echo Nest recommendations
The Automated Playlist Generator (APG) is a new feature in 2.3.1 that
allows users to specify custom rules for generated one-off playlists.
It is powerful and flexible, sort of a Smart Playlists system on
steroids.  It is lacking support for a "similar artists" constraint
that would be informed by the Last.fm or The Echo Nest services---with
the addition of this feature, users would be able to create playlists
that take into account the similarity of tracks within them.

* Designing a new APG UI
The APG (Automated Playlist Generator, see above) is powerful and
flexible, but the UI is severely lacking. As it is now it is designed
for geeks, not for the average user. This project would be mostly UI
design and Human-Computer-Interaction---not an easy task. Designing a
powerful but easy to use and intuitive UI for users to create
automated playlists from constraints would do a lot to expose the
awesomeness of the APG to all of Amarok's users.

* Batch Tag Editor and Auto-Tagging UI
This is one of the most requested features in Amarok, a batch-tagging
feature. The backend code will be easy to write, but the complexity is
in the user interface--designing a usable way to easily tag batches of
tracks is NOT an easy problem. Furthermore, an additional part of this
could be to create a way to "auto-tag" tracks with labels from
last.fm. There is already a Labels Applet that allows the user to add
common tags from Last.fm, but there is no way to automatically tag
multiple songs at once from Last.fm. This could be accomplished as
well.

* Crossfading Support
This is also a much requested Feature. Phonon supports it, and it
shouldn't be that much work, but I heard it would involve some
CleanUp/Redesign Work of the EngineController Class

Stefan