Bite-sized Amarok projects

Leo Franchi lfranchi at kde.org
Tue Aug 31 05:09:40 CEST 2010

On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM, Valorie Zimmerman
<valorie.zimmerman at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 30, 2010 at 12:44 PM, Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
>> Hey,
>>
>> So as some of you know  had some French university students working on
>> Amarok last year, through a program that Kevin  Ottens(metalworker
>> extroardinaire) runs. This year we're looking to do it again, and I'm
>> collecting potential project ideas. Last year the students wrote the
>> Similar Artists and Upcoming Events applets, as well as the playlist
>> tooltip feature.
>>
>> If anyone has anything they'd like to propose to the students, some
>> somewhat-self-contained projects that can be accomplished in 3-4
>> months by a team of 2-4 students, let me know ASAP. A good example
>> would be adding playlist support to services in the Playlists
>> framework (so you can see your lastfm/ampache playlists) for example.
>>
>> I'll be sending off our ideas in a day or so, so be quick :)
>>
>> cheers,
>> leo
>
> I have some small wishes, but have no idea whether or not they are
> "bite-sized" projects. It would be lovely to have both gapless
> playback, and cross-fading back. Short of that, how about allowing
> fade on pause if the main toolbar is in use? Right now, people set the
> fadeout duration, but it has no effect with the main toolbar.

While these are useful, I think they're a bit small for the scope of this.

> It would be useful to be able to copy a playlist and the tracks
> associated to a mobile device. It would also be nice to have
> playcounts from the device scrobbled.

This, however, is a very useful and needed feature, and probably a
good amount of work :)

> Also, we have the ability to burn CDs via a script, but it would be
> nice to generate a playlist, and initiate burning the CD from the
> playlist menus.

Maybe better "Amarok to k3b export" set of capabilities would be nice,
though I don't know how much work it would be, it seems a bit light.

leo