Problems with CoverBling

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kde.org
Tue Apr 27 17:32:24 CEST 2010

Re-PING

On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 12:41, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we apparently face a serious problem with our CoverBling applet:
>
> http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-granted-design-patent-for-cover-flow/
>
> Since the technology and way to display the covers is patented,
> changing the name as we did is not sufficient I fear :(
>
> Manu already knows about and we have been starting a brainstorm with
> alternative ways to use a cover display applet. Please also see the
> forum thread here:
>
> http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?f=116&t=87232&start=0
>
> So I think it is unwise to advertise the CoverBling as it is in the
> beta release notes, since it is likely we will have to remove the
> current applet anyway. I hope we can come up with a replacement for
> 2.3.1, there is still approx. one month till then and we could plan a
> feature freeze exception for the applet. I don't know how much this
> will affect translation for now.
>
> Your input and help is welcome, Manu seems to be keen on working on it anyway :)

It would be nice to know if there is a chance to have some modified
CoverBling for the upcoming 2.3.1 Else I suggest we remove the item
for now, just to make sure we don't run into any trouble after the
release.

Manu, any news on this? Thanks for keeping us updated :)

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org