bittorrent support

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Mon Apr 26 09:35:13 CEST 2010

On 04/26/2010 08:58 AM, Bart Cerneels wrote:
> On Sun, Apr 25, 2010 at 17:17, Mathias Panzenböck
> <grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net>  wrote:
>> I thought about how one can integrate bittorrent feed support into amarok. Hard coding that
>> .bittorrent extensions shall be opened with ktorrent is no option. Blindly executing the associated
>> KDE applications to unknown file types is also unhandy.
>>
>> Maybe there should be some kind of script hook for podcasts, so that when a file was downloaded this
>> script is called with the file name as argument, which then decides what to do with it, if anything.
>> Then one can write a script that calls ktorrent (e.g. via dbus) and commands it to download the file
>> (to the appropriate directory, if one can tell that to ktorrent via dbus). Also other scripts can be
>> written, e.g. one for arureus/vuze or just to start the associated KDE application.
>>
>> Maybe make this script hook not just for new podcasts but for whenever the collection manager finds
>> a new file (which don't need to be of a supported file type in order to get passed to the script)?
>>
>> Maybe one of:
>> Amarok.Podcasts.unknownFiletype.connect(function(filename, mimetype) { });
>> Amarok.Podcasts.newFile.connect(function(filename, mimetype) { });
>> Amarok.Podcasts.newFileCallback('application/x-bittorrent', function(filename, mimetype) { });
>> Amarok.Collection.unknownFiletype.connect(function(filename, mimetype) { });
>> Amarok.Collection.newFile.connect(function(filename, mimetype) { });
>> Amarok.Collection.newFileCallback('application/x-bittorrent', function(filename, mimetype) { });
>>
>> What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? Is there a better idea for bittorrent integration? Or is
>> bittorrent integration maybe not wanted in amarok?
>>
>>         -panzi
>
> Really, how many podcasts use bittorrent enclosures exclusively? Can
> you give me 10 examples of podcast feeds that contain neither an audio
> nor a video file and don't have an alternative feed?
>
> I think this is pretty useless feature creep.
>
> Bart

I don't even listen to/know 10 podcasts! But one of them uses bittorrent and it really needs it (the
http download alternative is very VERY slow). Yes, directly integrating bittorrent support would be
feature creep, but extending the JavaScript API so one can do this as an extension would IMHO be
not. Do you really think so?

	-panzi