Problems with CoverBling

Mathias Panzenböck grosser.meister.morti at gmx.net
Sat Apr 17 15:40:22 CEST 2010

On 04/17/2010 02:35 PM, Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 17, 2010 at 13:58, Lukas<1lukas1 at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> I'm  not a lawyer, but if patent has just been issued, shouldn't it be
>> invalid, and cover flow design kept free over a prior art
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prior_art ?
>
> Please do not top-post...
>
> Unfortunately it is unlikely to be prior art on our behalf, since
> Apple filed the patent on June 28, 2007 and they released the first
> iPhone on June 29, 2007. it's the date of request, not the date when
> the patent is granted that is valid as a grant is retroactive AFAIK,
> but IANAL. I don't think we had something similar in our code before
> that. Markey, do you remember when you wrote the first code of it?
>
> For the record, they own the CoverFlow technology since 2006:
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoverFlow

How can the patent be valid if the technology was already there in 2006?
That IS before the patent was filed. It does not matter who made the prior
art, once it is out you cannot file a patent any more. Even if the patent
holder to be released the technology himself. At least that's how it works
in Europe. Is it really that different in the USA?

And anyway, I do not understand how applying something from the real world
to the virtual world can be patented at all. I mean what innovation is that?
Just applying what is already there in a different medium. That's what
software developers do all the time.

	-panzi