Bugzilla Categories

Myriam Schweingruber schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch
Sun Apr 11 11:06:08 CEST 2010

On Sun, Apr 11, 2010 at 08:51, Sven Krohlas <sven at asbest-online.de> wrote:
> Heya,
>
> I think our current categories system in bugzilla is a bit
> chaotic and missing several ones. So I started a proposal
> for improvements:
>
>   http://piratepad.net/069WVi7SmK
>
> This will lead to a well sorted category list where we can
> set good default CCs. That will help users a lot to find the
> correct category to put a bug into.

Well, good luck with getting feedback, I already made similar
suggestions at least twice on this list, with close to no feedback at
all except from Bart and Mark. I suggest you just add those
categories, since none of the developers will ever give you a hand in
triaging the bugs and wishes anyway, with one or two notable
exceptions.

My feedback: I strongly suggest to just add the categories per
developer, I just did so yesterday with the Similar Artist Applet,
adding the author's email in Cc: This is pretty much the only way to
be sure it ends in their inbox, unless they have crappy spamfilters.
Also, since all applets have been filed under context view, making
them a sub-category is a bad idea, since you will not be able to
actually see it in your browser as only the first 8 characters are
displayed, which will just stupidly look like "ContextV". So making
each category matching the actual developers is a much better idea
IMHO. Of course you can make a query for each category for your
triaging, but this means you will end up with 20 tabs in your browser
that all bear the same name. Displaying the category in a query
result, then filter the Category column is much easier and overseable,
at least in my experience.

As a reminder, there already is a query by assignee, one only has to
edit it and replace the name at the end by the one of the assignee you
want to filter. All these suggestions, including the links to all the
queries have been given on this list several times already...

Regards, Myriam

PS. I also suggest you rename your Saved searches, since the list in
the preferences shows all saved searches of all products in
bugs,kde,org, it is not evident to guess for other triagers that
"target 2.3.1" is about Amarok.
http://www.fsfe.org