Dependency Updates for TagLib and TagLib-Extras

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Sat Sep 19 19:16:25 CEST 2009

Tycho Andersen wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Sep 2009, Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>
>> Jeff Mitchell wrote:
>>> 3) TagLib source is available at
>>> http://developer.kde.org/~wheeler/files/src/taglib-1.6.tar.gz ...
>>> installing from source to /usr/local is simple, and it is easy to remove
>>> later. Be sure to compile in support for MP4/ASF.
>> Note: to compile taglib with these options, simply specify -DWITH_ASF=On
>> -DWITH_MP4=On when running cmake.
>
> Maybe I'm missing something, but is it really necessary that these are compiled
> in? Suppose I don't have any .asf or .mp4 files, and I compile TagLib without
> that support, why should cmake bomb?

Tycho,

Amarok has *always* had support for those formats, even if you didn't
realize it. In the beginning(TM) Amarok had a number of TagLib plugins
(including ASF and MP4) that lived inside its source tree and were
installed with Amarok, and were in that sense mandatory.

These were then split out to TagLib-Extras, so that if other projects
wanted to take advantage of them they could. But Taglib-Extras was a
required dependency of Amarok, so that the format support would stay.

Now that those formats live in TagLib prpoer, we're happy to drop
support from TagLib-Extras (it's the same codebase), but the TagLib guys
made somewhat of a mistake in making those optional due to very outdated
requests from some distribution packagers (who have since dispensed of
any objection). All of the multiple other formats TagLib supports are
not optional -- I don't have any WavPack files, or Ogg/FLAC files, or
APE files, but I still have support for them in TagLib. There isn't
really any reason that ASF and MP4 should be treated differently, and it
makes our lives much harder if some distro packages have support and
some don't, leading to different experiences and behavior of Amarok on
different distros.

So, making it mandatory is as much a way of making sure that the distros
properly package TagLib as anything else. Even if you don't need them
specifically, at the same time it's not exactly a hardship to enable
them -- and I'm guessing you don't need some of the other formats TagLib
supports either, so I don't see why there should be any concern over
enabling these.

--Jeff