2.2 beta 2 reminder

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Mon Sep 14 09:52:04 CEST 2009

I have 2 big ticket issues I really want fixed before 2.2 is released
(i addition to many of the bugs in bugzilla)

First is my battle cry of "Sane default layouts for all". I already
had a go or 2 at this without much success, but I am going to try to
do it again, and in a way that avoids having to ship with a binary
layout file at all.

Secondly, I recently discovered a pretty bad regression in the
querying of some services, especially Magnatune and Jamendo. One
symptom is that if you enter a filter that does not match anything, it
does not clear the tree as expected, but just keeps showing what was
previous there. I am not sure of ehich change has caused this, but it
is definitely not an issue that has existed for long.

I had intended to work on some of this stuff over the weekend, but
unfortunately my laptop fried itself before leaving friday...

I really hate being the bearer of bad news, but my gut instinct right
now tells me that our release plan is too ambitious and that forcing
out 2.2 in time for Karmic will see us make too many compromises on
the quality. I have heard some people argue that 2.2 master is
currently more stable than 2.1.1 in any case and that we can always do
a series of quick bug fix releases on top of 2.2, but I think we need
to be careful with this strategy as 2.2.0 is what will get reviewed
and which will need to win back users, 2.2.xbugfix  releases will not
generate the same amount of interest.

- Nikolaj