Dropdown- vs. Combo-Buttons

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Sat Oct 31 16:36:23 CET 2009

Hi all,
I just noticed a little usability bug in the toolbar (in 2.2.0, I don't know
if it's still present in 2.2.1): The "Save Current Playlist" icon and the
"Playlist Layouts" icon have the same look but react differently to clicks.

The save icon initiates a save directly on click, thus making it a combo
button (since it can be used as a normal button or as a dropdown when holding
the mousebutton down). The Playlist Layouts, on the other hand, only displays
the dropdown on click, thus making it a dropdown button.

This is inconsistent since users who have used the layout button would expect
the save button to display the dropdown on click as well but the playlist is
saved instead.

The problem is that currently KDE4 doesn't distinguish between dropdown- and
combobuttons, which is a general problem.

So I see three options here:
1. Try to come up with a visual distinction between dropdown and combobutton
and try to push Amarok's solution to KDE in general
2. Ask the KDE usability team to come up with a distinction to use for all KDE
apps
3. Try to come up with a default action for the layout button (e.g. configure
layouts) to make it a combobutton as well.

Regards,
Thomas