Testing the Automatic Script Updater

Jakob Kummerow jakob.kummerow at googlemail.com
Sun Oct 25 21:24:02 CET 2009

Hi,

markey correctly observed that we need to test the automatic script
updater before we release it. So, let's do this!

First step:
Nightrose or jefferai, please create a dummy update. The procedure is
explained in detail in release_scripts/RELEASE_SCRIPT_HOWTO. Just make
a copy of one of the default scripts, increase its version number
(and, if you like, put a comment into one of its files marking it as
an "updated" version), and package it.
Further, I would suggest to create a second update with an *invalid*
signature, just to see it fail. (Just change the archive and/or the
"version" file and/or the signature after creating it, or use the
other update's signature, or a signature file filled with some
garbage, or... be creative. Funniest solution wins.)

Second step:
Someone please put that dummy update(s) onto the server. After that's
done, please send a mail to this list, so that all of us know that the
updating system has gone live.

Third step:
All of us: Restart your Amaroks and watch it update its script/s :-)
The updated scripts should be placed into
~/.kde(4)/share/apps/amarok/scripts/, and should be used without
requiring an additional restart (their version can be checked via the
Script Manager). Please report any malfunction.

Any problems? Further questions? Send me a mail, or ask me on IRC,
I'll try to be there every evening (European time).

Cheers
Jakob