Making SqlQueryMaker case-insensitive

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Fri Oct 23 23:05:48 CEST 2009

Jeff Mitchell wrote:
> Whoever may know this (probably Max),
>
> In a branch I have code that updates the database to use utf8_bin
> collation everywhere. This is a much-requested feature since it allows
> for artists and albums and such with difference cases, but also became
> necessary due to some other work I've been doing with scanning.
>
> A side effect of this, however, is that normal queries now need to
> specify if they want to be case-insensitive. It's as simple as adding
> "COLLATE utf8_unicode_ci" on the end of the query, but I'm not sure
> where to do it or the best way -- whether all SqlQueryMaker queries
> should be run this way, or whether it should be an option/flag, or...?
>
> I'd appreciate input (and hopefully code help) from someone that
> actually knows what they're doing in SqlQueryMaker.

BTW, if you want to actually see that branch in order to play around
with what might be necessary, it's at
git://gitorious.org/~jefferai/amarok/jefferai-work.git, branch name
"uidhash". It does require a schema update, so fair warning -- make a
database backup if you care strongly about your stats and such, just in
case.

--Jeff