About Amarok's interface design (follow up)

Thomas Pfeiffer colomar at autistici.org
Thu Oct 22 22:49:29 CEST 2009

> Attached are a few mockups exploring some different ideas to improve the
> overall look. I tried to keep most elements quite similar to what is
> currently available.
>
> These 3 mockups demonstrate the idea of using a simple gradient background
> image with a simple gradient design (stripes in this case), layered on top
> of the background.
I personally don't like the stripes too much though the background images look
cool.

> The gradient background is colored, which results in a different appearance
> throughout. Depending on the background color, the text color is set as
> either black or white (white on darker bakground, black on lighter
> background).
>
> By carefully setting the transparency on Media Sources, Playlist, and
> Context, only modification of text color needed to be made when changing
> background colors.
Does this mean it can automatically adjust to the current KDE color scheme?
I'd love that, since having an app that fits well with all color schemes (or
at least common ones) is rather important imo (especially dark schemes seem to
be used by many users).
Or is it something the user would have to change in settings? Even that would
still be better than not being able to change colors/rightness at all.

> When looking at the 'gray' screenshot, you will notice a different Applets
> navigation. This allows selection of a specific applet, similar to what is
> currently available in the context toolbar.
Hm I don't think this fits here. The navigation with > implies some kind of
hierarchy which is present in the sources and in the playlist filtering, but
not in the applets. Using the folder browsing interface for adding levels of
sorting already stretched the metaphor a bit imo, but I think using it for
applets goes a bit too far. It does increase internal consistency, of course,
but I think it conflicts too hard with normal use of the arrows.
> You'll also notice the ' + '
>  and ' X ' buttons, those are for adding / removing applets.
These are great.

> The 'bluegray' and 'blackgray' screenshots show the use of different
>  colored backgrounds.
>
> Please let me know if you have any other suggestions. Thanks!
>
> - Lee
All in all: Great work!

Thomas