Amarok Toolbar live-mockup - links inside

Enrico Ros eros.kde at email.it
Fri Oct 9 21:50:36 CEST 2009

On Friday 09 October 2009 21:15:51 you wrote:
> I have suggested an animated toolbar before, but didn't think it could
> look this awesome.
> Enrico: I want to take you up on the offer to create an animated
> toolbar for Amarok :)

Well you know, I suck at making it look good: trust Thomas for that!

The final version must be carefully discussed and designed. This is because
it's really easy to hardcode every kind of behavior, to add any degree of
customizability, but it's easy to add fatness and cut down performance too.

If Amarok's team decides to take this way, I may offer to implement the specs
exactly, pixel-perfect and fast (as long as you request at least 1 roto-
zooming element ;-)

> Even have a wishlist, it should:
> - have branded buttons with a style similar to the amarok logo (those
> in the vid look cool, but don't fit-in ATM)

Ack.

> - integrate visualizations. The way you did it is perfect already. I'm
> wondering if the viz can be implemented separately so we can have a
> few different ones. You have that little animations when clicking the
> buttons, would work as a horizontal analyzer as well?

Cool. Visualizations could inherit from VisualizationElement (a
QGraphicsItem). Everything's possible, even 3D analyzers if the view is
accelerated with OpenGL (could inherit Visualization3DElement). For example,
Thomas suggests zooming-squares (in/out) as analyzer for smaller displays.

> - Integrate current track info if enough space is available.

This will be the cooler item. If anyone mocks this up, I'm implementing it. I
would like the contents of the "current track" context-view but in 20-40% of
the size.

> - Be vertical resizeable, limited by apect ratio if needed.

Ack.

> - In the future this should all be in one, dynamically loadable QML
> file. Kind of like theming, but animated. When is QML supposed to be
> shipped in Qt again 4.7?

I don't know if QML makes it out for 4.7: performance should be similar to
this approach, behavior will be easier to customize with QML, integration will
be less weaker.

This is a perfect list of requirements! Amarok's team should really start
discussing that.

Enrico

 Sponsor:
 Vuoi la posta elettronica in condivisione con la tua azienda?
* La soluzione ideale è Email Groupware, l'alternativa a MS Exchange.
* Per maggiori informazioni clicca qui, oppure chiama lo 0125/627650
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=9588&d=9-10