Automatic Script Updater

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Thu Oct 8 16:40:16 CEST 2009

On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 16:12, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:

>>> we can sign the keys of "trustworthy" (a term that has to be defined then)
>>> script developers. This way we don't have to sign each and every update but
>>> just have to verify that the key used to sign an update was signed by our
>>>  key. The script package would need to contain the public key and our
>>>  signature for it then.
>>>
>>> Trustworthy could be someone
>>> * we know personally
>>> * has given good contributions to the community for some time
>>> * we know the real identity of
>>> or something like that.
>
> Sorry, but "trustworthy" would never work in real life. Who wants to
> take responsibility?
>
> Let's say that you trust me in general. In reality you would only
> trust me with certain things, e.g. fetching ice cream, programming UI
> code, whatever. But you would not trust me to do a medical checkup on
> you.
>
> Even if you did trust me with medicine, I could screw up. The same
> applies to 3rd party contributors, as an analogy.

I don't think we should bother with signing 3rd party scripts, I would
rather have support for this in opendesktop and GHNS. And when that
does we have to use those for our own updates as well. But until then
we can use the proposed system.

People already put their trust in the scriptwriters by installing over
GHNS or directly from kde-apps.org. Just add signatures to that for
auto updating and we have our infrastructure.

A feature request for opendesktop.org: Perhaps we can use our personal
keys to sign a script or have it signed by the amarok-developers group
key. Because I fear the weakest link is the private key and password
we have to either share or assign to one person.

Adding all our default scripts to kde-apps is a good idea anyway since
it's free publicity. And when they are updated there are automatic
notifications via the various channels opendesktop.org has.

CC'ed a few interested parties. Don't forget to CC them if necessary.

Bart