[Amarok] [BAD EMAIL] Merge branch 'master' of gitorious.org:amarok/amar

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:51:29 CEST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:06 AM, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 2:49 PM, Dan Meltzer
> <parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 8:45 AM, unknown <Patrick at .> wrote:
>>> commit 8a110f10714ad3f54b3f3b3915c7e207238751fb
>>> Merge: 5a5210d... 2c54706...
>>> Author:     unknown <Patrick at .(none)>
>>> AuthorDate: Fri Oct 2 14:41:28 2009 +0200
>>> Commit:     unknown <Patrick at .(none)>
>>> CommitDate: Fri Oct 2 14:41:28 2009 +0200
>>>
>>>    Merge branch 'master' of gitorious.org:amarok/amarok
>>
>> Is there any way to get rid of all these useless (in the big picture)
>> commits?  They are not going to be at all helpful when bisecting...
>> why do they appear?
>
> The way to get rid of them is doing a "pull --rebase" before pushing.
> Two things to keep in mind:
>
> 1) Don't rebase branches where others commit as well.

Well don't rebase over a different branch when your pushing to a
branch others our committing to. Eg don't git rebase origin/master
before pushing to a feature branch. But you can git rebase
feature/master, since that would only rebase commits you haven't yet
pushed to the feature branch.

> 2) Sometimes it's a matter of timing, if someone else pushes between
> your pull and your push, the merge will happen anyway.
>

> PS: Who is "unknown"? The guy should set his name.

Patrick Spendrin. You can always use the website to look up which
account pushed into the repo. It was one of the reqs we had before
switching Amarok.

Ian