Release Management

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Wed Nov 11 22:49:44 CET 2009

Hi guys,
Just been thinking about some of the problems we've been running into
with our scheduling of development vs bugfixes vs buffer times to
release.

Is it possible this is all coming down to a product management
problem? We have excellent developers, an excellent community &
release manager, but a very clear lack of product management.

Now now, before you all throw up your arms - I'm not saying we should
introduce a "product manager" role into the Amarok community. Nobody
likes being told what to do when.

But perhaps we could use tools to assisting us in synchronising
release management with product road maps?

I'm personally thinking of JIRA (an alternative issue tracker) which I
recently wrote about on a kde-core-devel thread [0]. Now this does of
course have it's draw backs, the most obvious and heartbreaking one
being that we'd have to somehow manage two issue trackers. Not that we
do the greatest job on bugzilla, but this could be because of bugzilla
crappiness in this regard. An option could be to use JIRA as a
"private" bugtracker to begin with just for planning?

Not really sure of answers here, like Mark just trying to see if there
is anything we can do to make the process smoother.

Cheers,
Seb

[0] http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-core-devel&m=125784748027225&w=2

--