Proposal: New refined release cycle [WAS: Re: release plan for 2.2.2]

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Wed Nov 11 10:51:09 CET 2009

On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 10:10, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> Thanks. What I'd like to propose is a refined cycle for our upcoming
> releases. A cycle that takes our experiences (some good, some bad)
> from the 2.2.1 release into account. The scheme is simple, but I am
> optimistic that it could improve things a bit. Here goes:
>

> "The 5 + 3 Release Cycle"
>
> In effect it's similar to the current 6 weeks cycle. The difference:
> After 5 weeks, we make a limited "preview" release. You could call it
> a beta, or tech preview, or something similar. This release only needs
> to be announced on our mailing lists, without the usual big promotion
> push.
>
> Then, after this beta, we spend another 3 weeks on processing the user
> feedback and refining our product according to the feedback. Which
> mostly means one thing: Fixing bugs.
>
> Ultimately, this scheme prolongs our current cycle (6 weeks) by two
> weeks, making it a 2-months cycle. My impression is that this could
> work out quite well. After trying this refined cycle, we could again
> evaluate it, and then see if we must refine it further. Sounds good?

Thank you so much for actually taking the time to look up your great
plan and match it with my proposed release plan.
For those who don't bother: Mark proposes a preview release on 8. Dec.
which is exactly 2 days before my proposed beta. The proposed final
tagging would both be on the 29. Dec.

Cheers
Lydia

--