Automatic Script Updater

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Mon Nov 9 09:23:18 CET 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 19:54, Frank Karlitschek <karlitschek at kde.org> wrote:
> On 08.10.2009, at 16:40, Bart Cerneels wrote:

>>> Sorry, but "trustworthy" would never work in real life. Who wants to
>>> take responsibility?
>>>
>>> Let's say that you trust me in general. In reality you would only
>>> trust me with certain things, e.g. fetching ice cream, programming UI
>>> code, whatever. But you would not trust me to do a medical checkup on
>>> you.
>>>
>>> Even if you did trust me with medicine, I could screw up. The same
>>> applies to 3rd party contributors, as an analogy.
>>>

>> I don't think we should bother with signing 3rd party scripts, I would
>> rather have support for this in opendesktop and GHNS. And when that
>> does we have to use those for our own updates as well. But until then
>> we can use the proposed system.
>>
>> People already put their trust in the scriptwriters by installing over
>> GHNS or directly from kde-apps.org. Just add signatures to that for
>> auto updating and we have our infrastructure.
>>
>> A feature request for opendesktop.org: Perhaps we can use our personal
>> keys to sign a script or have it signed by the amarok-developers group
>> key. Because I fear the weakest link is the private key and password
>> we have to either share or assign to one person.
>>
>> Adding all our default scripts to kde-apps is a good idea anyway since
>> it's free publicity. And when they are updated there are automatic
>> notifications via the various channels opendesktop.org has.
>>
>> CC'ed a few interested parties. Don't forget to CC them if necessary.
>>
>> Bart
>

> Sorry for the late reply.
>
> It is quite clear that we need a security system for scripts on GHNS.
> Signing the Scripts with the key of the uploader/developer is of course
> possible but doesn´t solve the real problem.
> As long as everybody can upload a script to openDesktop.org and users can
> download it the signing doesn´t give as any security that the script is
> safe.

Just a clarification: I meant the signed downloads are used to offer
automatic updates of scripts hosted on freedesktop.org where the user
has already decided to trust the author.
This trusting should be explicit and very clearly explained in the
GHNS dialog and is a requirement to enable automatic updates for that
specific script.

If there ever is a change of maintainership of FD.o hosted signed
content (feature request), the user should be notified and asked for
his trust of this new maintainer for that specific script.

> What we also need is some kind of trust system on the server. Something like
> this developer is already a contributor for some time, developed several
> other scripts already, has a high rating and got reviewed but other people
> with a high trust level. So the script has a high trust level.

I think we could agree that the trust or recommendation system is
insufficient for automatic updates. But for one-time downloads or the
first time auto-update content is downloaded: sure.