2009 introspective

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Sun May 10 20:47:11 CEST 2009

Heya :)

On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 22:00, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> Hi...
>
> I'm putting together a "where are we now, where are we going" snapshot of as
> many of the "big pieces" in KDE 4 as possible, and I'd like some input from
> you on Amarok.
>
> In particular, what I'm looking for are 2-4 bullet items for each of these two
> questions:
>
> * What have been the defining achievements in the last year?

Getting Amarok 2.0 out of the door and working hard on 2.1.

> * What are the main focus points and or goals for the project in 2009?

Getting 2.1 out of the door really soon now with a lot of improvements
and returning of missing features.
After that full steam ahead to 2.2 concentrating more on stuff we
havn't done in Amarok 1.4 like similarity analysis and building
playlists from that data or taking full advantage of Amarok URLs
introduced in earlier versions. We are looking forward to even more
outside contributions in the form of scripts and plasmoids and hope to
get into contact with a few more commercial partners for music stores
and the like. Also improving Amarok's look and usability is a major
goal for the next releases.

> If you're feeling extra helpful, you might want to also provide some input on:
>
> * What are the major pain points in your project right now?

- Distros releasing with Amarok 2.0.2 and users being disapointed
while they could already have 2.1 beta 1 with _a lot_ of improvements.
- Having to wait for improvements in KDE parts like Solid and Phonon
while not having the man-power to work on those ourself. (At least one
of the major Phonon problems will be fixed by a GSoC student this year
mentored by one of our developers.)
- Not having enough people to work on Mac and Windows bugs and features.

> * Outside of the core libs (kdecore, kdeui, kio, kfile) what are the most
> critical pieces of KDE technologies that your project is relying on?

Phonon, Plasma and Solid I guess.

Cheers
Lydia

--