Results from Card Sorting targeting the Playlist Context Menu

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Fri May 8 15:32:43 CEST 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 15:24, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is really cool. Thanks for taking the time to write this up Dan,
> especially for those of us who couldn't make it.
>
> You mentioned that the results are mighty skewed because the majority
> of the participants were developers. Do you think it would be
> possible/feasible/helpful to conduct this sort of test online and open
> it to more users? Perhaps not this test specifically, but for similar
> usability concerns in the future.

It is rather hard to do this as you have to observe the participants
and what they are doing.
They have to tell you why they are doing certain things and you have
to put it into context. They will do things they are not telling you
but that you can clearly see when observing them in a setting like we
did in Berlin. Like thinking about one thing for very long and being
uncertain about it while immediately dismissing another thing.

That being said I found it tremendously useful and I could for sure do
some testing IRL now that I got the introduction by leinir ;-) I am by
no means a usability expert but I am fairly good with observing people
as it is needed for this kind of testing. And leinir, colomar, seele
and I can still work out the results together.
I think this is also something for our Season of Usability student.
(Who by the way I would _really_ like to see work on doing a survey
kinda thing to find out more about our userbase and their use-cases
for Amarok.)

Cheers
Lydia

--