Statistics, everywhere

Dan Meltzer parallelgrapefruit at gmail.com
Thu May 7 23:11:42 CEST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 4:29 PM, Maximilian Kossick
<maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> at the dev sprint in Berlin we agreed that it would be a good day to
> provide statistics for every track that Amarok plays, so on my way
> home today I wrote some code, and now Amarok happily stores statistics
> for last.fm streams:)
>
> Working on that gave me another thought: having statistics for any
> track is good, but it would be even better to show the same statistics
> for the same track, even if it is playing from different sources (e.g.
> last.fm and local collection). Can we think of a sane way to make that
> happen?

Maybe a hash of Artist + Album + Track Length?  I say track length,
because thats usually the only way to distinguish between different
versions of the same song (live vs. studio vs. rerelease...) which
should maintain different statistics.  This wouldn't work if a track
was released on a various artist album (greatest hits) as well (if it
was the same version of the song) but I can't think of a way to make
that work as well.

We could use the lastfm fingerprint, I guess. That would at least be
consistent between lastfm and amarok, though not for services (unless
we fingerprinted them).  The other option would be MBID, but that'd
have similar problems.

Dan