next release

Modestas Vainius modestas at vainius.eu
Tue May 5 10:17:37 CEST 2009

Hello,

On 2009 m. May 5 d., Tuesday 10:57:28 Lydia Pintscher wrote:
>- beta 1 did receive close to no testing at all from a wide audience
>due to distros not providing packages because of QtScriptbindings
>being a huge PITA -> What can we do about it?
Well, qtscriptgenerator is a pretty hard dependency I guess. However, next
time I would suggest changing attitude from "force 3rd party dependency
because we think it absolutely must be part of a standard package" to "make as
many 3rd party dependencies optional as possible", even if it means a bit more
work initially. Packagers are going to bundle Amarok with as much features as
possible anyway (you don't need to force them) and trunk users can still build
amarok without exotic stuff.

> So I'd like to hear some opinions on when to tag the next release and
> if we should do another beta, go for a RC or right to 2.1 final.
Do another pre-prelease (either beta2 or RC, depends on how confident you are
in amarok state at the moment) this week. Beta 1 is already too old for new
packaging today.

--
Modestas Vainius <modestas at vainius.eu>