2.1 beta 1

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Fri Mar 20 13:09:24 CET 2009

On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:50 PM, Teo Mrnjavac <teo.mrnjavac at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia at kde.org> wrote:
>> it is time to think about releasing beta 1. The plan for that was
>> beginning of April. I'd try to tag on April 3rd or 4th as I have an
>> exam on April 2nd. Any objections to that?
>> Anyone know of any showstoppers for a beta? This is my list currently:
>> - vanishing playlist with Qt 4.5

>> - vanishing systray icon with Qt 4.5

It should be noted that this does not affect all Qt 4.5 systems in
general (e.g. not mine). What exactly triggers this condition (in
addition to Qt 4.5) is unfortunately still unclear, but we should
research it.

>> - some people can't close the new welcome screen as it doesn't show
>> anything for them but the purple background

While I can't reproduce this, I'm going to try fixing this, of course.
Screenshots and hints welcome. And PS: Please try latest SVN, I did
some changes to the resizing code yesterday.

If we fail to fix it, there is still the option to disable the
tutorial feature for beta1.

>> - welcome screen text is not ready at all

As said above, we could disable it altogether, but I think the first
page (while not final) isn't so bad - it's the promo text from the
header on amarok.kde.org.

>> - missing file browser context menu actions

Seb said he's going to fix it soon (possibly this weekend).

In general:

Excellent idea, doing a Beta release. I was going to suggest doing an
Alpha, but in hindsight your idea is much better. (We never really
were much into Alphas, cause Betas get a lot more testing, which is
what we need).

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer