extragear/multimedia/amarok

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Thu Mar 19 23:04:38 CET 2009

Thunderbird decided that when I change the name of a folder, I don't
want it to be checked for new messages anymore, or I would have stopped
this argument a long time ago, because it's very easy.

The WMA and MP4 support in taglib-extras are already in taglib SVN and
will be included in the next release of taglib.  It is the exact same
code.  The plugins are supported and tested.  The problem is that we
have no idea when the next release of taglib will be, and I wouldn't
hold our collective breath for it happening anytime soon.  So, by making
taglib-extras required all we're doing is keeping code that was *always*
built into Amarok linked into Amarok until taglib proper takes over.

(Full disclosure: you can turn off WMA and MP4 support in taglib proper
if you like.  I doubt most distributions will do this, however, unless
they have patent concerns; it is also entirely possible that when Scott
releases the next version he will remove this optionality, because he
will have tested the code to his heart's content.)

Now, if you want to discuss Real Media (taglib also has support for it,
but I believe read-only), WAV, and Audible, then that's another matter.

--Jeff