Playlist Layout Config

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Fri Mar 6 02:35:26 CET 2009

Hi devs,

A number of times I've expressed my intense dislike of having the
playlist layout option combobox/edit within the playlist widget. I'm
going to do it again, and hopefully we can finalise this matter once
and for all.

* I create my optimum playlist layout, set it, and leave it. Why
should I have my precious vertical real estate compromised by this
widget that I will rarely use.
* I see this as a configuration option, and logically it belongs in
the configuration widget. we should be consistent about where
_configuration tasks_ are placed. Otherwise, I'm going to start
expecting my collection configuration in the collection browser, and
to be able to add new services from the services browser (actually,
that's a good idea)

For those of you that feel that switching between layouts is going to
be more common usage than set & leave, then can't we compromise by
having a button in the playlist toolbar which toggles the widget
visibility? I would also accept an entry in the settings menu bar.

Please remember that good usability does not necessarily always go
hand in hand with good UI design.

--
Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/