Foldable toolbar - questionable usability

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Mon Jun 29 23:47:51 CEST 2009

2009/6/29 Leo Franchi <lfranchi at kde.org>:
> I totally agree with Nikolaj here. It is impossible to achieve
> consensus on a "new feature" via mailing-list or IRC before beginning
> to code. Putting aside the fact that maybe about 50% (if even) of
> interested parties actually respond to any given email, consensus
> requires much time AND a willingness to hunt down people for a
> response (i have unfortunately done way too much of this in the last 8
> months).
>
> Playing around with Amarok in svn, given that we have many months
> before release, is an effective way of sharing an idea and soliciting
> comments. As we have just seen, it immediately starts a conversation
> when people feel strongly about it---and that to me seems to be
> exactly the point.
>
> Our upcoming meeting in GC is a perfect way to leap forward in terms
> of future plans/layouts/etc, like in Berlin, but I strongly disagree
> with putting off changes until we have a chance to talk them over all
> together. Way less would get done, and it would simply be demotivating
> imho.

+1
Also keeping in mind that a lot of features like this need actual
testing in the program before being able to say if it will work or
not. A discussion about maybe possibly liking this or not is hard when
you only get a description of it.

Cheers
Lydia, who didn't try it yet so will not comment on keeping, changing
or removing the feature

--
Lydia Pintscher
Amarok community manager