impeding move to git, join gitorious.org

Magnus Bergmark magnus.bergmark at gmail.com
Sat Jun 27 10:22:43 CEST 2009

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Ian Monroe <ian at monroe.nu> wrote:

> Just an update with this: gitorious doesn't ban forced pushes, so
> someone could inadvertently screw up the repo in a non-revertible
> fashion fairly easily.

Nitpick: Not "non-reverstible", but "hard and error prone to revert to how
we want it to be". Git takes special care *not* to delete any data, and a
forced push does not delete data, only moves the pointer of the data. Using
git reflog right after the pull (when you notice it's been borked) you
should be able to revert by following standard procedures. AFAIK, that is.

Only a nitpick, though. I would also wait with this. If someone fucked up,
someone with good git knowledge needs to fix it right away so other
developers will be put on hold (at least from pushing/fetching).

So the project is on indefinite hold again. :(

:-(

--
Magnus Bergmark - magnus DOT bergmark AT gmail DOT com
GPG/PGP: 0x7BE84794DB6AA648