Pulseaudio *sigh*

Magnus Bergmark magnus.bergmark at gmail.com
Mon Jun 22 02:22:09 CEST 2009

I actually got PA to work nicely with my KDE desktop. Granted, I use Arch
Linux (but will probably switch later since I don't like it) so I did the
configuration myself. Took me a couple of hours of fiddling, but it was
worth it. Everything (except VLC and sometimes flash) works like I expect
them to!

Phonon configuration
dialog<http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/4695/phononconfig.png>

My solution involves making ALSA talk to PulseAudio via a psuedo-device and
then letting PA talk back to the real device in ALSA after that. Yes, that
sounds really perverted but it works very well for me. When a program
supports PA, it's just PA -> ALSA like usual, but if the software does not
support it, the ALSA psuedo-device called "PulseAudio" in my case shows up
to be used instead. AFAIK, this device is pretty much just a fast
pass-through to PA without much of the overhead.

If you want to replicate my configuration, you can have a look in my ALSA
conf file.
/etc/asound.conf <http://kde.pastey.net/116433>

I cannot find any specific line in my PA config files. Either it solved it
by itself, or I did some configuring in one of the GUI programs and they
saved that in some random gconf place. It might be enough with the alsa
config above. I did this under a long time a long time ago, so I can't
remember.

Hope this helps! If this solution is foolish, please speak up. I did this in
the eyes of a user and my knowledge about sound servers are mostly nil.

On Mon, Jun 22, 2009 at 1:48 AM, Myriam Schweingruber <
schweingruber at pharma-traduction.ch> wrote:

> - KDE doesn't use Pulseaudio at all, there is not a single application
> that is meant to work with it by default,
>

> - Pulseaudio apparently only works correctly in combination with Gstreamer,
> - Amarok and Dragonplayer (as well as Kaffeine AFAIK) very often don't
> play sound when Pulseaudio is installed, and this seems to happen for
> many Jaunty users, who tend to be quite frustrated by that experience.
>
> Shouldn't Kubuntu work by default for most of the users? Well, it
> doesn't, and it is a frequent reason for people to either abandon
> Amarok or KDE or even change distribution... which is certainly
> totally counterproductive!

PS. This certainly isn't a permanent solution. This is a way to fix the
usability problems for the user while more applications gain support for PA.

--
Magnus Bergmark - magnus DOT bergmark AT gmail DOT com
GPG/PGP: 0x7BE84794DB6AA648