RFC: Remove or keep the "beta" label for Win/Mac?

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Tue Jun 2 22:36:32 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 22:12, Mark Kretschmann <kretschmann at kde.org> wrote:
> G'day,
>
> I've noticed that we're still special-casing the Windows and Mac
> versions with a "beta" label in the window caption. The comment says
> it all:
>
> // Let people know OS X and Windows versions are still work-in-progress
>

> I think we had originally planned to remove it around 2.1, so we could
> do that for 2.1.1. Question is, has the right time come? From the
> Windows folks I've heard that we're in pretty good shape over there
> now. About the Mac side I'm less sure.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm fine with removing it on Windows. Not sure about Mac. Can you
comment, Orville?

> PS:
> It's also debatable if we should keep the caption saying "Amarok 2" vs
> just "Amarok". I guess we did this initially to differentiate the
> product, and because we were so excited about it and all (omg omg,
> it's a 2!). But now I've pondered whether the "2" isn't weakening our
> brand rather than helping it, making it appear like a different
> product or a fork.

I'd vote for removing it with the release of 2.2. Until then it is
actually a good thing we make a distinction between Amarok 1 and 2. By
the time 2.2 is out most people should be more than happy with it
again and not miss 1.4 that much. I think it is too early yet.

Cheers
Lydia

--
Lydia Pintscher