Equalizer support in Amarok - patch

Nikolaj Hald Nielsen nhnfreespirit at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 21:35:51 CEST 2009

> - significant clipping - please pull new svn version of phonon - I've fixed
> this issue already. Please use svn - it's not yet in git. I've sent a
> message to this list with announcement.
>   And yes the sound is now much much better - 99.999% compatible with
> Audacious so it'll leave xine behind IMHO. I wouldn't worry about ranges -
> because this equalizer code have
>   nothing to do with the xine.

I already have the very latest from svn. I still get significant distortion,
especially in the bass with some presets ( and if I make a custom setting
with the lowest slider maxed out, everything just becomes a
"grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" noise basically (even at fairly low volume, so
its not my speakers giving up! :-) Perhaps this is just the way its meant to
work. I admit that I dont know much about equalizers.

> - "[...] Also, we obviously need a dialog for manually configuring levels
> [...]" - well I don't understand what you mean by that exactly. If you
> navigate to settings->configuration->playback you'll find
>   an equalizer configuration box where you can change/save/delete presets
> manually.

Oh, I managed to completely miss that there was manual settings in the
config dialog. Whoops! :-) In any case, I still think we should put the
equalizer in a seperate dialog. As it is right now, you have to select the
select  "manual" in one place, and then go into the config dialog to
actually edit it. I think that these 2 things should be avaialble in one
place. Also, I am not sure most people wil considder tweaking theie
equalizer levels to actually be changing the configuration of Amarok, so
having it in the same plase as the persitant settings seems a bit odd to me.

I was also pondering putting it either in a context applet or maybe making
it a dockable widget, but I am not sure if these are good ideas at all..

- Nikolaj