SVN closed for commits and Basic Git Groundrules

Jeff Mitchell mitchell at kde.org
Mon Jul 20 01:58:53 CEST 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 6:52 PM, Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 19, 2009 at 2:12 PM, Jeff Mitchell<mitchell at kde.org>
> wrote:
>> Hey guys,
>>
>> As of r999404, SVN is closed for commits on extragear/multimedia/
>> amarok.
>> Read-only.
>>
>> Thiago is currently doing an rsync and will attempt the conversion.
>> If
>> it fails he'll have to do it tomorrow; in this case I'll ask toma to
>> remove the read-only restriction until then and will let you all
>> know.
>>
>> I want to lay out a couple ground rules for our Git repo on
>> Gitorious:
>>
>> 1) Never, ever create a branch in our mainline repo. Ever. You can
>> do it
>> locally, but do *not* push it up.
>
> Have you tried to create a branch? I did, I don't think its possible.

You can, yes. At least, I have on other Gitorious projects and Thiago
implied it was a social control, not a technical one.

> Stop making git sound so scary. :)

Ok, sorry. Used to a more traditional Gitorious workflow instead of
the SVN-alike model we'll be using :-) Those guidelines should be used
for outside contributors though.

For the record, Ian is right, it's not scary. Except #1. Follow #1. :-)

--Jeff