forum

Lydia Pintscher lydia at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 13:40:18 CEST 2009

Heya folks,

Leo and I have been talking about our forum and how it is by far not
as nice as it could be as the software is really meh. Using it is a
pita.
So we have been thinking about solutions and one that came to our mind
immediately is move it all to forum.kde.org (fko). And now I'd like to
hear some opinions from you, especially Myriam who seems to be the
most active of us all in our forum currently.

Some things to consider:
- our forum is not well maintained from a sysadmin pov
- fko has a very active userbase and maintainer team
- the fko team would help us (or even do it all for us) migrate all
our content if we wish to do so - the old stuff could be read-only
there if we wish (imho we should just keep a read-only version or get
rid of ours altogether)
- fko looks nice and is easy to use
- users wouldn't need two accounts
- we could still have insanity post updates in #amarok
- fko uses phpbb and they work together closely with the dev team of
phpbb (I know one of their lead devs and got them in contact with each
other)
- phpbb is vastly superior to our current solution
- openid support
- we would still be the main moderators
- fko has a lot of users

All in all I think it would benefit us a lot.
Opinions please.

Cheers
Lydia

--