(delayed) GSoC status update

Ian Monroe ian.monroe at gmail.com
Thu Jul 9 12:20:41 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 4:54 AM, <sandsmark at samfundet.no> wrote:
> Still stuck debugging (/understanding) my AudioDataOutput
> implementation in Xine and GStreamer.
>
> If I can't get it to work soon, I'm probably going to work on the
> Amarok integration instead (my phonon-work won't be released until
> next Phonon release anyways, which is due together with qt 4.6, iirc.
> And I do get audio data, I just don't get sound out at the same time
> :]).

I don't think there's much point in doing integration. We already have
someone (Casper) who expressed interest in this and in general once
the phonon pieces are in place I don't think finding someone to
develop an visualization will be hard since its a fun thing to
develop.

>And this is getting frustrating. Though I think I know why what's
> wrong with the Xine stuff¹, at least. And VLC 1.0 is released, which
> means that jb has time to release the phonon-vlc source code (eean;
> can you maybe bug him? I've tried promising everything from beer to
> freshly scented toilet paper without luck, and now my IRC is rather
> spotty).

Well one option is to use what is there.

I'll bug jb.

> So yeah, I'm now stuck in Ecuador with a rather spotty internet
> connection (and a somewhat restrictive firewall, git and ssh works,
> but not imap/smtp and quassel, which I have to tunnel through ssh) and
> I'll be offline the next couple of days (quick trip to the jungle with
> the family). I'll bring my laptop and I'll try to fix the Xine engine,
> and hopefully come back a much happier guy, with a working
> Phonon::Xine::AudioDataOutput.
>
> The gstreamer backend is probably easier to fix (it's at least
> possible to get answers from developers and other knowledgeable
> people, and even proper documentation), but it (phonon-gstreamer) is
> so buggy here, I don't think I can in good faith ask anyone to use it.

Fix the bugs? :P

Really don´t worry about bugs that aren't years. Novell is already
asking people to use it so having support for phonon-gst is useful
regardless of how sucky it is.

Ian