git-svn users: please squash commits on branch merge

Soren Harward stharward at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 13:49:12 CEST 2009

On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 5:04 AM, Leo Franchi<lfranchi at kde.org> wrote:
> You can however interactive rebase over a branch, and squash
> unimportant commits into more important ones, leaving only the big
> commits there.
>
> git rebase -i git-svn

This is more sensible advice than the "always squash" mantra.

I was just thinking that especially in my case, my fingerprinting
system has 80-some commits, and the automated playlist generator has
nearly 400 as of right now, and might exceed that before it's ready
for trunk.  Nobody's gonna read all of those patches, especially since
I've refactored or somehow redesigned large chunks of the APG code at
least three times since I started.

--
Soren Harward