Making releases

Erik Hovland erik at hovland.org
Sat Feb 21 19:23:28 CET 2009

> Many Amarok developers are kind of annoyed by how long it takes to
> compile Amarok now that we have the script generator, and I can't
> really blame them.

My first thought was 'What a bunch of whiny punks!?' But I am currently
rebuilding after getting KDE 4.2 from intrepid-backports (word to the
wise - you will have to manual install kdelibs5-dev). And guess what, it
takes roughly half the time to build just the generator and the scripts.
So I guess I should either go get a new set of cores or be a little more
understanding.

> So it'd make sense to have the script bindings in a
> seperate package. Plus this way other projects could just depend on
> the package and use the bindings, since at that point every distro
> with Amarok would have it in a seperate package.
>
> I can think of a few ways to do this:
> * Kent releases a versioned tarball
> * I throw it into kdesupport and make tarballs from there
> * I release a versioned tarball, with the
> http://repo.or.cz/w/qtscriptgenerator.git as the VCS for it
>
> With the last two methods the versions would probably just be matched
> with Amarok version. With the last method I could probably drop the
> cmake files (unless Kent wants to adopt this superior build system,
> hint hint :P).

I prefer the first, since it means that whatever Amarok commits to the
tree gets a wider set of users. But I guess we might want to accept the
reality that Amarok is easily the largest user of this project and so Kent
is more likely to just eventually accept Amarok's changes in the end. If you do
the last, I am more then likely to rebase my git tree on your repo instead of
Kent's.

Erik Hovland
erik at hovland.org
http://hovland.org/