Amarok 2 and memory usage

Seb Ruiz ruiz at kde.org
Sat Feb 21 01:31:19 CET 2009

2009/2/21 Bram Schoenmakers <bramschoenmakers at kde.nl>:
> Hello all,
>
> One of the first things I noticed about Amarok 2.x was its memory usage. So I
> checked out Amarok revision 928096 and ran it through Valgrind's massif. The
> results are at [1] and [2].
>
> First a disclaimer, I'm completely unfamiliar with Amaroks codebase. So what I
> say may be wrong or my suggestions may approach infinite impossibility.
>
> [1] is the result of running Amarok with a clean user and close it immediately
> once it's loaded. What catches my eye is that the Magnatune collection takes a
> considerate amount of memory. Looking at the code in
> CollectionManager::init(), I see that every collection plugin is initialized
> and everything is loaded into memory. Is that necessary? I would suggest that
> collections are loaded on-demand. Because not everyone (no one?) uses Amarok
> solely for listening music from Magnatune.
>
> [2] is a session run where I start Amarok and download the Jamendo database.
> As you can see the memory usage goes sky-high and does not drop afterwards.
> This does not happen when I run Amarok again and the collection is retrieved
> from disk. It only seems to happen when downloading the Jamendo collection.
> As you can see I don't have a debug enabled Qt at the moment, but I think the
> results should be clear enough.
>
> [1] http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/files/amarok.massif.3467.gz
> [2] http://www.bramschoenmakers.nl/files/amarok.massif.3605.gz

Hi Bram,
Many kind thanks for running Amarok through massif. I hope that we can
continue to streamline our memory usage.

Perhaps Nikolaj can have a look at threse outputs, as he is the author
of both the Magnatune and Jamendo services.

Many thanks,
Seb

> Kind regards,
>
> --
> Bram Schoenmakers
>
> What is mind? No matter. What is matter? Never mind.
> (Punch, 1855)

Seb Ruiz

http://www.sebruiz.net/
http://amarok.kde.org/