Querying Collections from dbus

Maximilian Kossick maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com
Fri Feb 20 21:13:51 CET 2009

On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 6:07 PM, Ian Monroe <ian.monroe at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Maximilian Kossick
> <maximilian.kossick at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> So we have the following options:
>>
>> scripts:
>> -provide a (possibly simplfied) QueryMaker API to scripts
>>
>> external applications/D-Bus:
>> -provide a dbus method that takes a query based on SQL syntax
>> -provide a dbus method that takes a query  as XML
>
> Well you forgot the option to "not provide anything to external applications".
>
> At some point it might be interesting to let people run QtScript code
> over D-Bus. But for now people should just use QProcess and start the
> external programs from within a QtScript.
>
> Ian

I do not consider that an option. There already is an amarok runner
which queries amarok's database for tracks [1]. I do see the use of
it, but, like Katapult in the 1.x series, it's querieing the local
collection using sql. That's exactly the kind of use that we want to
prevent, not to mention that it won't work for anything besides
SqlCollection.

[1] http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/plasma/runners/amarok/amarokrunner.cpp?view=markup