Last.fm Tagging UI Issues

Bart Cerneels bart.cerneels at kde.org
Fri Feb 20 12:25:40 CET 2009

On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Casey Link <unnamedrambler at gmail.com> wrote:
> So before I start implementing the Last.fm tagging feature I need some
> feedback about the UI.
>
> There are two options as I see it:
>
> 1) A separate "Tag Artist|Album|Track" action with an independant
> dialog. (Like the last.fm love action, but with a popup dialog)
> Pros:
> * Super Discoverable
> * Trivial to implement so it only shows up when last.fm is enabled
> Cons:
> * YACMA (Yet Another Cotext Menu Action), i.e., the size of the
> Context Menu list will be increased
>

> 2) Another Tab in "Edit Track Details"
> Pros:
> * Avoids the YACMA problem
> * This sorta existed in Amarok 1.4.. (we could re-introduce local tags?)
> Cons:
> * Not Discoverable
> * With last.fm you not only tag tracks, but artists and albums. With
> the "Edit _Track_ Details" dialog it's not clear how to tag artists
> and albums
> * Not easy to compartmentalize so it doesn't appear when last.fm is
> disabled. (i.e., last.fm code will appear in places it shouldn't)
>
> I'm leaning towards option 1. YACMA creep is a huge issue... but the
> cons of the 2nd option are too great IMHO. Hopefully someone can come
> up with a super 3rd option.
>
> Casey

3rd option:

Put the display of the last.fm labels in the last.fm service browser
or a context widget. Make it hidden by default because there is so
much crap in the last.fm tags. Only show for the current track or the
selected track. Separate the tags for track,artist,album with tabs.
Adding tags can be done inline or with a dialog, called from the
last.fm service. Offer the option to send your local tags to last.fm.

Bart