Improving Amarok Current Track Applet look

William Viana vianasw at gmail.com
Tue Feb 17 14:14:20 CET 2009

Hey guys,

I've been thinking of ways of improving Current Track visual look because,
IMHO our current one could be much better. I was thinking about a relayout
of the current one and small changes so it would look minimalistic and more
elegant. Due to my lack of skills with inkscape this is the best I could
get:

http://socios.aditel.org/~wviana/amarok/currenttrack_mockup.png<http://socios.aditel.org/%7Ewviana/amarok/currenttrack_mockup.png>

So, I was wondering if you could add a little bit of your talent and skills
to improve that mockup or even come with a totally different one if you
wish. The only constraint is that we are probably going to be in a freeze in
about 2 or 3 weeks and it would be better that we implement it before the
freeze.

We have also introduced a new feature in the Current Track applet to show
both the last played tracks and the favorite ones. For that we used a tab
bar and the problem is that its default look doesn't seem to fit. Here is
how it looks:

On Linux using the default plasma theme:
http://mark.kollide.net/amarok2_plasma_tabbar.png

On Mac OS X:
http://pwsp.cleinias.com/amarok.tabbar.applet.png

The options would be to change the tab bar aspect by changing its stylesheet
or using another more appropriate widget for hiding information.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions (both artists and usability
experts).
--
    -William-