Copyright Notices

Gary Steinert gary.steinert at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 23:38:50 CET 2009

On Monday 02 February 2009 20:59:41 Ian Monroe wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Gary Steinert <gary.steinert at gmail.com>
wrote:
> > On Monday 02 February 2009 19:59:30 Nikolaj Hald Nielsen wrote:
> >> 1. that header looks like crap in gmail :-)
> >>
> >> Anyway, actually changing the license requires consent from _everyone
> >> who holds copyright, so I think that is a rather ambitious project. If
> >> you really want to go that route, I think we should standardize on the
> >> "2, 3 or later at KDE e.V's discretion" (IIRC) license that is already
> >> in use for a few files.
> >
> > The license already allows for use with GPLv3, but it would just simplify
> > things. As part of changing the headers i do plan to compile a list of
> > email addresses of copyright holders, mostly to check that people haven't
> > changed their emails and not updated the copyright info. i.e. check there
> > is one email per person =P
> >
> > I think I'll leave it as it is for now then. And for the record, its not
> > meant to look good in gmail!!! =P
> >
> > Gary Steinert
>
> Have you noticed headers that differ in substance with the GPLv2+ or
> "GPLv2,3 and >3 if e.V. allows it" headers? Or is it just style?

I have come across a few files (i forget where now) that allow distribution
under the Mozilla Public License as an option as an alternative to the GPL.

Other than that it is minor style mostly. Simple things like how and where the
copyright is shown, minor wording differences and commenting style.

There are a few files that simply state something along the lines of 'This
file may be distributed under the GNU GPL' and nothing more. But there cant be
any harm in fleshing the header in these files out.

I haven't come across any GPL 2,3 and >3 if e.V. allows header as of yet. But
I will check the content if i do come across any. I will also post anything
that varies too greatly from the stock GPL header.

Gary Steinert