Working on two versions in parallel

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Wed Dec 9 12:15:13 CET 2009

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Nikolaj Hald Nielsen
<nhnfreespirit at gmail.com> wrote:
>> One of our problems with 2.2.2 currently is that we're in string (and
>> feature) freeze, so many patches, ideas, and Merge Requests are on
>> hold. What if we created a 2.2.3 branch, and started to work on two
>> versions in parallel, before 2.2.2 is actually tagged?
>
> I don't think this is a good idea for a couple of reasons.
>
> What would happen is the same that always happens when we have a
> stable branch and a "fun" feature branch. We are all suckers for cool
> new features, so the feature branch is what everyone will end up
> running, meaning that there is less focus on fixing bugs in the stable
> branch and less overall testing of it.

Well, I see your point, and I agree that there is a risk of losing
focus on what is important (getting the current release done).

But let me give you a practical example:

In the Collection settings, we have this button "Import Collection". I
think we had discussed this before, and the problem with it is that
it's a bit of a misnomer (doesn't import the collection, but rather
the statistics). So I quickly wanted to add a tooltip for it, or
rename the button. Not possible because of string freeze.

Now, I have two options: 1) Put it on my already loooooong TODO list.
2) Put it in some feature branch that I often forget about.

Having an official branch for 2.2.3 could solve these issues elegantly, I think.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer