Playlist context menu: Cover vs Album

Mark Kretschmann kretschmann at kde.org
Sat Dec 5 08:25:43 CET 2009

On Sat, Dec 5, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Louis BAYLE <louis.bayle at gmail.com> wrote:
> as Mark Kretschmann suggested me in the Merge request
> #2254: add "Move to Trash", I'm changing the playlist context-menu
> to add a "Cover" sub-menu containing the 4 cover actions.
>
> The cover actions come from the Album CustomActionsCapability,
> together with another action "show under various artists" which is
> also in the context-menu.
> I suggest to make an 'Album' submenu (instead of 'Cover') that
> includes the cover actions and the "show under various artists"
> action.
>
> reasons are:
> - if those are all album actions, why not putting them together
> - reduce the context-menu size
> - code is much simplified (no need to change CustomActionsCapability)
>
> I made a branch on gitorious with the sub-menu. I'm new to gitorious
> so I don't know if the following path is enough for you to pull, but
> here it is :
> ~lbayle/amarok/lbayle-amarok:playlist_submenu_cover

That's very nice of you, Louis. One small problem with it:

We are currently in "string freeze" for Amarok 2.2.2. This means, we
cannot add (nor change) any translated strings. I did a quick grep
over our code, and it appears that this string ("Cover") does not yet
exist:

     KMenu *menuCover = new KMenu( i18n( "Cover" ), menu );

This leaves us with two options:

1) Find an existing string that is similar and descriptive enough, and use that.
2) Wait until after 2.2.2 release.

--
Mark Kretschmann
Amarok Developer