[Amarok] Moved playlist layouts selection menu back to the

Téo Mrnjavac teo at getamarok.com
Wed Aug 12 13:57:58 CEST 2009

On Wed, Aug 12, 2009 at 1:27 PM, Seb Ruiz<ruiz at kde.org> wrote:
> 2009/8/12 Téo Mrnjavac <teo at getamarok.com>:

>>> Why did you do this? We discussed this at length to move it _out_ of
>>> the toolbar. This is not a feature which can be justified to be in the
>>> toolbar (as it's not going to be used often enough for enough people).
>>> Leaving it in the menu bar makes it still accessible without polluting
>>> the UI.
>>>
>>> I call for revert please.
>>>
>> We discussed it again yesterday and found that in the playlist menu
>> it's just too hidden.
>
> Just for clarity, can I ask who you spoke about it with please? I'm
> interested to know who holds these opinions.

I discussed it with Nikolaj. He agreed that it was a bit too hidden in
the main menu and we decided to move it back for the time being, at
least until we can make it accessible through bookmarks.

>> Eventually it might return there when we get
>> sort+layout+grouping bookmarks but until then hiding playlist layouts
>> hurts the usability of the playlist.
>
> No, it does not hurt the usability of the playlist. This is a
> configuration option, not a method of interacting with the playlist
> during general usage. Furthermore, an entry in a menu bar is not
> hiding the option. It is very easy to find.

I see choosing the layout as an interaction more than a configuration
option, while modifying layouts is definitely a configuration option.
And the menu bar isn't hiding it to make it hard to find as much as
making it long and tedious to hit.

> The same way that you couldn't say that moving the collection
> configuration to a button in the browser would improve usability.

Collection configuration wouldn't, but if we had collection layouts
I'd like to have them in a button in the browser.

>> I realize that this solution
>> isn't ideal because it doesn't please everyone, but for now I call for
>> keeping it as it is at least for a while until bookmarks land in
>> trunk.
>
> What gives you the authority to make this call?
I haven't made a call and I don't think that I have the authority to
make a final call for everyone, I don't understand what could give you
that impression-
I just committed to trunk something that was discussed with my GSoC
mentor and can still be changed over 9000 times before a 2.2 freeze.

> I don't have a problem
> with this if the majority is of this mindset, but I find it
> disconcerting that frequently UI components are moved over the place a
> few weeks after a discussion has lapsed, as if nobody is going to
> notice (or when they do, saying "just for a while").
>
> I also don't see what playlist layouts have to do with bookmarks
> (explanation appreciated).

The plan is to create bookmarks that represent a playlist state and
combine a sorting scheme with a layout and a grouping category.